What is personal information?
Personal information is any information about an identifiable individual.
MP Host.ca is responsible for personal information under its control. MP Host.ca has implemented policies and practices to give effect to this Privacy Code, including training and communicating with our employees about the importance of privacy and implementing security procedures that reasonably protect the personal information you provide to us. In addition, 8144826 CANADA INC., MP Host.ca ‘s parent company, has appointed a Chief Privacy Officer to oversee personal information-handling practices of MP Host.ca and its affiliates.
What is excluded from privacy protection?
This Privacy Code does not impose restrictions on: business contact information, including the name, title, business address or telephone number of an employee of an organization; information collected, used or disclosed solely for journalistic, literary or artistic purposes; publicly available information, such as an individual’s name, telephone number and address when listed in a directory or made available through directory assistance; or information that is aggregated and not associated with a specific individual, including demographic information and statistics.
Children: If you are under the age of 18, be sure to obtain your parent or guardian’s permission before you send any personal information to us, or anyone else. We encourage parents to get involved with their children’s online usage and to be aware of the activities in which they are participating.
What personal information do we collect, and why?
- We collect personal contact information (such as your name, address, email address and telephone numbers) if you: sign up for a newsletter; register on an online forum, or to attend a paid event; and when you make a donation to an EDA, purchase any product or service from MP Host.ca; or place an advertisement on the network. This information is used to fulfill your request for information, products or services, to provide targeted advertising, and to respond to your inquiries.
- We will retain your subscriber ID and passwords so that upon request by you we may remind you of them.
- We collect demographic information, as well as purchase history and a list of surveys offered to you, in order to gain a better understanding of your interests so that we may develop better products and services, and to determine your eligibility for other products and services.
- We may also use your name, email and contact history information to contact you about changes, enhancements or other notices related to products or services you requested from us and which MP Host.ca provides. In addition, we may use this information to send you offers or information from us, our affiliates and from selected sponsors or advertisers (“Marketing Offers”). If you do not wish to receive Marketing Offers, you may opt-out at any time by following the opt-out procedure below.
- We collect your credit card information if you: subscribe to any paid digital content; register on a paid website; enter a paid contest; register to attend a paid event; purchase any product from MP Host.ca or through one of our websites. This credit card information is used for the purpose of fulfilling your order.
- If you choose to opt-out of any use of your personal information in accordance with our opt-out policy, we will keep your contact information on a list so that your request can be honoured. If you provide a complaint to any of our departments, we will collect your contact information and the nature of your complaint, for the purpose of investigating your concerns and responding to you.
- We generally use your personal information for the purposes of: managing, administering, collecting or otherwise enforcing your accounts; maintaining business records for reasonable periods of time and generally managing and administering our business; and meeting all relevant Canadian and international regulatory, legal, insurance, audit, security and processing requirements.
- Occasionally, we ask our visitors to complete market research surveys. If you choose to participate in these surveys and provide your personal information for that purpose, your information will be aggregated as part of the survey results and shared with our advertisers, sponsors and affiliates in a manner that does not identify you.
- Other than as permitted or required by law, if we wish to collect, use or disclose your personal information for purposes that are not contemplated in this Privacy Code, we will identify those purposes at the time of collection. You will be given a reasonable opportunity to opt-out of any such additional purposes.
Website Usage Data Collection
We also employ the Double-Click cookie as part of Google Analytics. Google is a participating member of the Network Advertising Initiative and follows the industry privacy standards for online advertising. You can opt out of the DoubleClick cookie, as well as other companies’ cookies used for interest-based ads, by visiting the aboutads.info choices page. If you want to permanently opt out of interest-based ads from all NAI member companies, try the Keep My Opt-Outs plugin.
- If you are concerned about cookies, it is possible to turn them off in your web browser preferences. However, please be aware that by disabling cookies, you may not be able to use all portions of our websites, particularly pages requiring registration.
- We may place advertising or other links on our websites that originate from outside advertisers. If you view these ads, the advertisers may assign a cookie. MP Host.ca does not control these cookies, nor is it responsible for any marketing or other use of your information by these advertisers.
- Our websites may use Web beacon, gif, or other technologies to better tailor and manage advertising on those sites. These technologies may be in use on a number of pages across web sites. When you access these pages, a non-identifiable notice of that visit is generated which may be processed by us or by our suppliers. These Web beacons usually work in conjunction with cookies. If you don’t want your cookie information to be associated with your visits to these pages, you can set your browser to turn off cookies. If you turn off cookies, Web beacon and other technologies will still detect visits to these pages, but the notices they generate cannot be associated with other non-identifiable cookie information and are disregarded.
- We use IP (internet protocol) addresses, to gather demographic and statistical information about our users, for systems administration and to diagnose problems with our servers, and to administer our websites. We may also use IP addresses to display or allow our third party advertising providers to display more targeted advertising and content.
- We may, from time to time, track and analyze anonymous usage and browsing patterns of visitors to our websites to provide our advertisers with more targeted advertising opportunities and to help users see advertising that is most likely to interest them.
To whom does MP Host.ca disclose personal information, and why?
MP Host.ca may disclose your personal information under the following circumstances:
- To provide you with Marketing Offers, MP Host.ca may disclose your personal contact information to affiliates and selected advertisers. If you do not wish to receive Marketing Offers, you may opt-out at any time by following the opt-out procedure below.
- MP Host.ca may transfer your personal information to third party service providers in order to fulfill your order or perform processing and other specialized services (such as credit card processing, prize fulfillment of our contests, collection of overdue accounts, management of customer service requests, and product delivery).
- MP Host.ca may provide your name and credit card information on a confidential basis to a third party (which party may be outside of Canada) for the purpose of updating your credit card information to ensure that your ongoing subscription to MP Host.ca products and services is not interrupted.
- Your personal information may be processed and stored outside of the province in which you reside and/or outside of Canada by us, an affiliate or a third party service provider for the purposes set out in this Privacy Code and, under the laws of these other jurisdictions, in certain circumstances foreign courts, law enforcement agencies or regulatory agencies may be entitled to access your personal information.
- MP Host.ca may disclose your personal information to our affiliates for internal audit, management, billing or administrative purposes.
- MP Host.ca may disclose your personal information to third parties if you have violated our terms of service or conditions of purchase, or if we need to comply with applicable laws and lawful governmental requests, other legal and regulatory authorities and for other legal reasons.
- MP Host.ca may disclose your personal information on a confidential basis to parties connected with the contemplated or actual financing, insuring, sale, assignment or other disposal of all or part of our business or assets, including for the purposes of determining whether to proceed or continue with such transaction or business relationship or fulfilling any records or other reporting requirements to such parties.[/unordered_list]
Consent and opt-out policy
In general, MP Host.ca seeks consent to use your personal information in accordance with our opt-out policy. Except as set out in this section, MP Host.ca obtains your express opt-in consent to use or disclose sensitive personal information.
If you do not wish to receive Marketing Offers, you may opt-out at any time by doing any of the following:
- follow the instructions at the bottom of any email Marketing Offer you receive.
- call Customer Service at 613-282-8360 and request that your personal information not be used for Marketing Offers.
- email Customer Service at firstname.lastname@example.org and request that your personal information not be used for Marketing Offers. It may take 2-4 weeks to fully process your opt-out request.
Generally, when you provide us with your personal information, we will assume that you consent to our collection, use and disclosure of such information for the purposes identified or described in this Privacy Code, if applicable, or otherwise at the time of collection. We reserve the right to use and disclose your personal information without your consent where required or permitted by law, for example, if we have reasonable grounds to believe the information could be useful when investigating a contravention of a federal, provincial or foreign law, in order to protect or defend our legal interests, or to comply with applicable laws and lawful governmental requests.